Assistant backstage at North West School of Design Graduation Show 2013



Here I am with Gert-Johan Coetzee, one of South-Africa's top fashion designers and a personal idol.



Last Saturday (2 November 2013) night I had the experience of a lifetime.  I had the honour of working backstage as an assistant at the North West School of Design’s annual Graduation Show.  And what an amazing night it was!  I never really thought that a fashion show had so many aspects that have to run fluently to ensure a marvellous show.  Each and every one of the designers had spectacular designs and amazed the crowd with it.  John-Wayne Keyser was announced as Designer of the year and I fell in love with his collection.  It was elegant, timeless and most definitely one of a kind.  A collection that I would LOVE to have in my wardrobe.

To me, the biggest highlight of the evening was meeting Gert-Johan Coetzee, one of South-Africa’s top designers who is truly an inspiration, not only for all the up and coming designers, but he is also an inspiration to me.  I recently needed some motivation to peruse my dreams and this following statement of Gert-Johan Coetzee on Twitter gave me the necessary motivation and inspiration: “Fashion designer who believes you can never dream too big”.  He is most definitely one of my idols!

Furthermore I took some pictures with Anel Botha from Anel Botha Couture who is also one of South-Africa’s top designers, Francoise Jeanne de Villiers, the beautiful Miss. Klerksdorp and then of course Kobus Rautenbach from Kobus Rautenbach Couture. 

I would like to thank the all people who made it possible for me to assist backstage;
North West School of Design’s Stacey Grant, Lisa Hay De Villiers and Marlene Oosthuizen, dean of North West School of Design. 

And then I would like to thank one person in particular, Kobus Rautenbach. Without Kobus none of this would have been possible.  He arranged for me to be an assistant backstage where I also assisted him in the dressing room with the models on the rehearsal on Friday night.  Thank you so much for making it possible for me to have the experience of a lifetime.


 

After Saturday night, working at a fashion show wasn’t just a dream anymore, it was a reality.  I would like to encourage each and every one of you to follow your dreams, do what you love and work extremely hard to turn your dreams into a reality. 

Steve Martin once said “Be so good they can’t ignore you”.  With that in mind, hopefully one day in my future I will work as an assistant at SA Fashion Week.

C
xxx




 



Anel Botha from Anel Botha Couture and me.

Francoise Jeanne de Villiers and me.


The AMAZING Kobus Rautenbach from Kobus Rautenbach Couture who made this amazing night possible for me.


The beautiful Miss. Klerksdorp 2013, Tumi Boitumelo Monare and me.

Instagram Feed